October 16, 2006

Parres (DF), 15.10.06


Map Navigation: This dynamic Trackmap shows the GPS track (red line) and some geo-referenced photos (red dots) of the cycling tour. Drag the map with your mouse. To see the photos, click your mouse over the little red dots. Click on the photos to go to the picture page.


Photoset Map

Photoset Show

GPS Track: GPX (MapSource, et al), or KMZ (Google Earth)

GPS Cycling Data:







Distance: 82.4 Km, Ascent: 824 m, Time: 4:45 hr, Avg. Speed: 17.28 Km/hr, Max. Speed: 62 Km/hr.


Travel Report:

This ride was intended to arrive to Cuernavaca, capital city of the neighbouring southern state of Morelos, but the weather conditions of that day proved otherwise. After taking Tlalpan and later the free highway to Cuernavaca, the weather started to change to a rainy one. In fact, when I passed to a restaurant called "El Mirador", a sightseeing point located 500 m above Mexico City valley level, I could capture the image of a beautiful double rainbow over the city ! But above this point (2700 m), rain started :-(

At the beginning of the rain, I supposed I could cope with the rain as long as it occurred in the climbing part of the ride, but soon the rain started to acquire bigger dimensions. When I was approaching Parres (last town in the Federal District of Mexico City), the rain was so intense that visibility was null at 5 m ! All my body now ached by the cold. Particularly, my knees were hurting so bad, I had to change of mind about the destination of the ride. Firstly I decided to arrive to Tres MarĂ­as, but after seeing the rain intensity, and feeling the cold associated pain in the knees, when I arrived at Parres I decided that enough was enough.

So at my arrival at Parres (with a 5 m visibility owed to the rain) I decided to cut short that ride at this point and took a bus to return to Mexico City, as this was a descent of 800 m that I could not ride under that strong rain and poor visibility conditions. So I took a bus that took me to the Aztec Stadium, from where I rode back to my house. It was certainly not the most glamorous cycling ride in my life, but I had to protect myself :-)

Before arriving to my house I passed to the Zocalo (Main Square of Mexico City) where I could capture some images of Aztecs dancing and offering their prayers to their gods :-)

Thank you for reading. Till the next travel.

No comments: