June 18, 2007

Tlaxcala Regional Museum (Tlaxcala), 17.06.07


Map Navigation: This dynamic Trackmap shows the GPS track (red line) and some geo-referenced photos (red dots) of the cycling tour. Wheel up and wheel down your mouse to zoom in or zoom out the map. Click on any point in the map to center it on that point. Or just drag the map with your mouse. To see the photos, hoover the mouse over the red dots. Click on the photo to go to the picture page.


Photoset Map

Photoset Show

GPS Track: KMZ (Google Earth), or GPX (MapSource, et al).

GPS Cycling Data:






Distance: 143 Km, Total Ascent: 1200 m, Cycling Time: 6:18 hr, Avg. Speed: 22.6 Km/hr, Max Speed: 70.7 Km/hr, Energy Expended: 27 MJ, Cycling Power: 300 W.

Travel Report:

Owed to the fact that on the previous day I had to attend a late-night compromise, this ride started at the late hour of 10:00, sadly.

I took the usual way of Zaragoza Av to the usual gigantic traffic jam that already was in its position, at the junction between the free and paid Puebla highways. I cycled all the way up (by the free highway), passing the town of Avila Camacho, to the Llano Grande summit (1000 m ascent), and later, descending all the way down to Sn Martin Texmelucan (Puebla).

From Texmelucan I took the free highway to Tlaxcala, an easy plain 25 km long ride, that gently took me to the heart of that beautiful city. Once there I headed directly to the Sn Francisco Ex-Convent, site of the Tlaxcala Regional Museum, located in the top of a hill, near the center of Tlaxcala.

The museum has several exhibition rooms. The first of them houses several pre-hispanic archaeological findings, unearthed from all the state of Tlaxcala. From this exhibition are worth mentioning the sculptures of Camaxtli and Teocipactli, Tlaxcallan indigenous gods, that were worshipped only there (and not by the rest of the nahua cultures). Several poly-chromated ceramics are also shown, which were used in religious rituals. I could even see a couple of Olmec artifacts ! These Gulf Culture ritual axes were found in Huamantla, and are thought to have been made in Veracruz. The rest of the Museum is devoted to the exhibition of colonial and contemporary art works. You can have a glimpse of the items exhibited in the Museum in the above linked PhotoSet Show.

After finishing my visit to the Museum, I had to wait at the entrance of it, since the heavy rain that had started one hour ago had still not finished. Once the rain stopped, I could start the return leg of my journey, this time cycling back to Texmelucan.

Unfortunately, the road was still wet, so I had to accept the fact that I was going to arrive at Texmelucan made a soap. But heck, this was better than last ride full sun, from which I still carry the solar burns on my skin.

Arriving at Texmelucan at about 20:00, it was a no-brain choice taking the return bus to Mexico City, which for only 54 pesos took me and my bicycle back home :-)

Thank you for reading. Till the next travel.

1 comment:

Sebastian said...

Wow!!!! Cool blog! I'm certainly glad to have found your blog. Thanks for showing the world what a wonderful place Mexico is. I was in Puebla last month for Cinco de Mayo weekend. Check out my blog when you have a chance.

http://sebastians-soapbox.blogspot.com/

--sebastian